Welcome to the weekly post of the RackN blog recap of all things Digital Rebar, RackN, Edge Computing, and DevOps. If you have any ideas for this recap or would like to include content please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or tweet RackN (@rackngo)
News Items of the Week
As we develop increasingly sophisticated technologies like self-driving cars and industrial internet of things sensors, it’s going to require that we move computing to the edge. Essentially this means that instead of sending data to the cloud for processing, it needs to be done right on the device itself because even a little bit of latency is too much.
Intel announced a new chip today, called the Intel Xeon D-2100 processor, to help customers who want to move computing to the edge. It’s part of an effort by the chip giant to stay ahead of emerging technology trends like edge computing and the Internet of Things.
- The many-faced god of operational excellence, DevOps and now ‘site reliability engineering’ – The Register
Someone’s been kicking up the “NoOps” ant pile again. There it was, sitting there finally rebuilt after the annual upturning, and The Lord of Cartography, Simon Wardley says: “I think you’ll find that the new legacy is going to be DevOps.” That said, it is winter, so the ants are moving a bit slower than usual.
- Global Bare Metal Cloud Market to Exceed by 2022 – Finances Wire
The increased demand for cost-efficient hosted services to achieve increased performance, streamlined data operations, and data security would result in a higher adoption of bare metal cloud in various verticals within the near future. Currently, the world bare metal cloud market is driven by telecom & IT due to the growing big data and increasing demand for effective storage. However, advertising is the most money making end use segment and this trend is expected to continue over the forecast period.
Bare metal cloud offers many advantages such as increased security, easy maintenance of records, monitoring activities in commercial & residential areas, and empowering nations against terrorism & external threats at different locations. The adoption of hosted services is significantly high in the telecom & IT end use industry, owing to the enhanced demand for virtual storage facility.
- Digital Rebar Online Community Meetup – Feb 13, 2018 at 11:00am PST
- Get Started with Digital Rebar Provision
Digital Rebar is a community-based solution for an open PXE provisioning solution for infrastructure including bare metal, cloud, and edge.
How secure is your infrastructure? Not just your internal data centers, but what about your networks connecting to public clouds or hosting providers? How about your corporate data which could be anywhere in the world as you certainly have Shadow IT somewhere?
RackN believes that IT security begins with a secure foundation for provisioning not only within your data center but into your cloud environments as well. Having a single tool architected with security as a key feature allows SecOps to spend more time worrying about protecting attacks at the application and data storage layer instead of allowing attacks at the metal.
A common side-effect of rapid growth for any organization is the introduction of complexity and one-off solutions to keep things moving regardless of the long-term impact. Over time, these decisions add up to create a chaotic environment for IT teams who find themselves unable to find an appropriate time to stop and reset.
IT operations teams also struggle in this environment as management knowledge for all these technologies are not often shared appropriately and it is common to have only 1 operator capable of supporting specific technologies. Obviously, enterprises are at great risk when knowledge is not shared and there is no standard process across a team.
L8ist Sh9y Podcast
In this week’s podcast, we speak with Paul Teich, Principal Analyst, Tirias Research. Paul offered his insight into several key industry trends as well as the recent Spectre and Meltdown discoveries.
* Spectre and Meltdown – Will this drive additional security focus?
* Augmented Reality and AI is the holy grail of Edge and Cloud
* Capabilities of 5G and its impact over next 10 years
* Why is Hyper Converged Infrastructure popular?
Follow the latest info on RackN and Digital Rebar events at www.rackn.com/events
- Container World– Feb 26-28 in Santa Clara, CA
- Panel: Do it like a Hyperscaler: Engineering Containers for Security and Hostile Multi-Tenancy (Wed, Feb 28 at 11:20am)
- Avoiding Infrastructure at Rest – the Power of Immutable Containers (Wed, Feb 28 at 1:50pm)
- DataCenter World– March 12-15 in San Antonio, TX
- Operate your Data Center like a Public Cloud with Immutable Infrastructure(Monday, March 12 at 2:10 pm – 3:10 pm)
- SRECon’18– March 27-29 in Santa Clara, CA (Bronze Sponsor)
- Don’t Ever Change! Are Immutable Deployments Really Simpler, Faster and Safer? (Wed, March 28 at 1:35 pm – 2:15 pm)
- ITX InterOps– April 30 – May 4 in Las Vegas, NV
- Immutable Deployments: Taking Physical Infrastructure from Automation to Autonomy(Wednesday, May 2 at 3:00 pm – 4:30 pm)
- DevOps vs SRE vs Cloud Native(Wednesday May 2 at 9:00 am – 9:45 am)
- Austin DevOpsDays– May 3-4 in Austin, TX
- GlueCon– May 16-17 in Denver, Colorado