Do you find the platform engineering hype overly developer focused? We do too! In fact, we believe that platform engineering is not just for devs!
Platform engineering requires thoughtful operational work
Great platform engineering delivery focuses on productizing the operational work that provides seamless self-service experience and developer autonomy. Fundamentally, that’s what great infrastructure operations practices are about.
As a seasoned infrastructure professional or executive, you may find Platform Engineering conversations overly focused on client tools such as internal development portals (IDP) or CI/CD systems. You understand intuitively that portal tools that speed up software development require transformative thinking about how infrastructure automation can be leveraged in the enterprise.
Dig in to the operational practices for platform engineering
We’ve assembled a deep list of ops-focused 3rd party research, demos, posts and discussions for people who support Platform Engineering from the infrastructure and operations side. These resources are part of deep conversations we are having with Digital Rebar users and the larger industry about the ongoing evolving automation platforms, DevOps process and SREs practices.
External Research Reports and Commentary
Read what expert outsiders are saying about operations and platform engineering.
- Selected Complementary Gartner Research
- Adrian Cockroft – Platform Engineering Teams Done Right…
- Matthew Reinbold – Marketplaces, Portals, Catalogs, and More – Clarifying Your Organizational Approach to API Platforms
- Redmonk’s Stephen O’Grady – On Organizational Structures and the Developer Experience
- Cheryl Hung – From Dev to Ops: Infrastructure is Hard, but Tooling and Visibility are the Key for Full Cycle Developers
- and Signup for future research alerts
Videos from RackN engineers: RackN Platform Engineering channel
Opinion Podcasts and Blogs from RackN’s CEO
- Purpose of the Platform is to Disappear (12/1/22)
- Top 4 I&O Trends (12/30/2022)
- The Cloudcast episode 682 “2023 Look Ahead to Platform Engineering” (1/4/2023)
- and Signup for our Newsletter to get the latest
Platform Engineering discussions on the Cloud2030 podcast
RackN hosts this weekly conversation about the future of cloud. As you can see, platform engineering is a popular topic.
Ops – are you ready to step into platform engineering?
At RackN, we know from experience that the most effective platform engineering teams are built on world class operations. Our operations-first approach to building a world class infrastructure automation processes ensures that you will have both developer autonomy and consistent, reliable, shared infrastructure.
You see, you don’t have to do it alone. RackN is here to help and ready to talk with you about how to get started.